Certification as an AIDA 4 Star Freediver is dependent on reaching the target performances required by AIDA.
As a certified AIDA 4 Star Freediver you will be able to demonstrate the following standards:
- 3:30+ min static breath hold (STA)
- 70m+ diving with fins (DYN)
- 32-38 m depth in the open water (CWT)
To enroll in the AIDA 4 Freediver Course, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old (16 years with parental or guardian’s consent)
- Have successfully completed the AIDA 3 Freediver course
- Have completed a course in First Aid with CPR within the last two years
All our AIDA courses run on demand - let us know when you are interested in learning and we will do our best to accomodate you.
The AIDA 4 Star course is run by AIDA Instructor Trainer, Sam Amps or Master Instructor Liv Philip and is aimed at freedivers who already hold a mid-level qualification such as AIDA 3 Star, PADI Master Freediver or SSI Level Two and a current qualification in CPR/First Aid (we can teach you this as an EFR Course if necessary). It is particularly appropriate if you are looking to become an AIDA Instructor and/or learning to dive below 35m.
Running over four days at the National Diving and Activity Centre (NDAC) in Chepstow, the course will help you prepare for diving beyond residual lung volume (30-40m), extend your breath hold and pool performances perhaps to help you in competition, ensure you are a confident and competent safety diver, develop your knowledge of the impact on physiology of deeper dives, and enhance your skills and understanding of the sport to a level where you are able to act as an assistant instructor.
Skills and Knowledge included in this programme are:
- Theory physiology of the lungs as they reach residual volume; equalisation techniques for deeper diving; safety considerations for diving below 30m; specialist equipment for deeper dives; higher level fitness training; nutrition for freediving; setting up and running freedive sessions.
- Pool advanced training techniques for Static and Dynamic Apnea to increase your personal bests; advanced coaching skills for Static Apnea; rescue, safety and session set up protocols for pool training.
- Deep Water techniques to aid deeper equalisation; Free Immersion and Constant Weight technique fine-tuning; exhale diving; rescue, safety and session set up protocols for open water training.
By the end of this course, you will have all the practical freediving skills and knowledge you need to be an instructor. All you need to do then is learn how to teach. As a 4 Star Freediver, you are qualified to assist an AIDA Instructor and SaltFree will offer you work experience as an assistant if you are interested in making that progression.